Monday, April 21, 2008

Much Ado About Nothing - A Heated Exchange Between Beatrice and Benedick

Yes, I know Much Ado About Nothing is long and gone from our session. But since my blog is themed of that play and that I have not posted anything related to it for a while, I decided to give out one of my favorite parts where Benedick and Beatrice fling bad words at each other.

I was also looking for an excuse to put up a good quote from the play. I have been exploring characters and themes from the plays we have read as well as aspects of Shakespeare's life for the most part. I thought the blog deserved a bit of the language. This takes place in Act I, Scene I, lines 107-139:

Benedick: If Signor Leonato be her father, she would not have his head on her shoulders for all Messina, as like him as she is.

Beatrice: I wonder that you will be still talking, Signor Benedick. Nobody marks you.

Benedick: What my dear Lady Disdain! Are you yet living?

Beatrice: Is it possible disdain should die while he hath such meet food to feed it as Signor Benedick? Courtesy itself must convert to disdain if you come in her presence.

Benedick: Then is courtesy a turncoat. But it is certain I am loved of all ladies, only you excepted, and I would I could find in my heart that I had not a hard heart, for truly I love none.

Beatrice: A dear happiness to women! They should else have been troubled with a pernicious suitor. I thank God and my cold blood, I am of your humor for that. I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me.

Benedick: God keep your ladyship still in that mind! So some gentlemen or other shall scape a predestinate scratched face.

Beatrice: Scratching could not make it worse an 'twere such a face as yours were.

Benedick: Well, you are a rare parrot teacher.

Beatrice: A bird of my tongue is better than a beast of yours.

Benedick: I would my horse had the speed of your tongue, and so good a continuer. But keep your way, a God's name! I have done.

Beatrice: You always end with a jade's trick. I know you of old.

It takes the interference of Pedro to end Beatrice and Benedick's bickering. It also takes Beatrice to skew away at Benedick's pride. Alas, poor Benedick...

- Kristopher

No comments: